**The Harvard Law Review will not be reviewing manuscripts submitted after April 19th, 2013. Any manuscripts submitted over the summer will be queued until we return in the fall. We will begin reviewing manuscripts again on August 5th. Please understand that we cannot honor requests for expedited review until August.**
How To SubmitThe Harvard Law Review requests that contributors comply with the following standards:
- Electronic Submission: We strongly encourage contributors to submit their manuscripts through our electronic submission system, preferably in Microsoft Word format. Articles may be submitted to the Harvard Law Review exclusively or through the standard submission protocol. Alternatively, you may still submit a hard copy if you wish; please address all manuscripts to: Articles Office, Harvard Law Review, Gannett House, 1511 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138. Please note that we will not accept articles submitted via email.
- Length Limitations: In an effort to address the growing length of law review articles, the Review has adopted a new policy limiting the length of articles we will accept or publish.
The Review strongly prefers articles under 25,000 words in length — the equivalent of 50 law review pages — including text and footnotes. The Review will not publish articles exceeding 30,000 words — the equivalent of 60 law review pages — except in extraordinary circumstances.
In December 2004, the Harvard Law Review surveyed nearly 800 law professors on the state of student-edited law journals. The results of the survey, which found that nearly ninety percent of respondents believed that law review articles are too long, are available here.
For further background regarding this policy, please see a Joint Statement issued by a number of law journals across the country.
- Anonymous Review: To facilitate our anonymous review process, please confine your name, affiliation, biographical information, and acknowledgments to a separate cover page. Please include the manuscript’s title on the first text page.
- Citation Format: Please use footnotes rather than endnotes. Footnotes should conform to the 19th edition of The Bluebook.
- Expedited Review: If you would like to request an expedited review of your submission and if you have submitted a manuscript, please make the request through our electronic expedited review system. You may also contact us by phone or fax and leave a message. Please be prepared to provide: (1) the manuscript's tracking number; (2) the manuscript's title; (3) the date by which you need an answer; (4) your phone number; and (5) your email address.